Everywhere you go right now you can't seem to escape 3D.
And it seems that Hollywood directors are not the only ones cashing in on the popularity of 3D technology. Sky have unveiled plans to launch a 3D sports channel. Sky demonstrated exactly how the technology worked by broadcasting the Barclays Premier League game between Arsenal and Manchester United in 3D in nine selected pubs across the UK and Ireland. As of April the 3D sports channel was launched with over 1,000 pubs across the country broadcasting the match between Manchester United and Chelsea on Saturday 3rd April. Sky have announced the success of the initiative and it seems that other broadcasters may be planning to follow suit with Eurosport planning to transmit matches from The French Open at Roland Garros in 3D. Sky have also announced that the following matches with be broadcast live in 3D:
Blackburn vs Manchester United on Sunday 11th April
Tottenham vs Arsenal on Wednesday 14th April
Manchester City vs Manchester United on Saturday 17th April
Chelsea vs Stoke on Sunday 25th April
On all of my recent trips to the cinema (taking advantage of my Orange Wednesdays; as cinema prices are shockingly overpriced- £8.40 per ticket- I could buy a brand new DVD and watch it as many times as I like for almost the same price..oh and having to pay an extra £1.50 for the 3D experience!!)I have been to see films available in 3D. Including Clash of the Titans, Alice in Wonderland, Ice Age 3, Avatar and The Final Destination. Out of intrigue I also went to see the same films in 2D and with the exception of Avatar none of the films were any better in 3D. The Final Destination in 3D disappointed me, I had expected to have knifes, fire and other objects to come towards me, but there was only one moment when I moved my head to 'avoid' an object! Being in 3D did not add anything to the film. The same can be said for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, which before I go on I think was a very good film, but once again being in 3D added nothing to the film and I left wondering why it had been made in 3D in the first place. Well apart from the fact that it generates higher viewing figures and in turn generates more revenue.
You can't help but think that Hollywood directors are just purely cashing in on the popularity of 3D technology right now. Yes, Avatar was an extraordinary success and shows how fantastic 3D films can be. But Clash of the Titans, which may I add is a great film, was originally filmed in 2D and transformed in 3D. Call me cynical but you can't help but think that the only reason it was changed into 3D was to line the pockets of the director with a few more million.
It seems that 3D films are going to continue to grace cinema screens with Toy Story 3, Shrek Forever There are also plans to release future Batman, Superman and Captain America in 3D.
Toy Story 3 is to be released in cinemas across United Kingdom and Ireland on July 23rd 2010.

No comments:
Post a Comment