Thursday, 11 March 2010

Online Shopping making your money disappear?

Shopping on the high street could soon be a distant memory, as the popularity of online shopping continues to rise. More than one in ten high street shops are likely to become empty in the very near future, retail experts Experian have warned. Whilst in stark contrast online outlets are flourishing in the technological age, as more than ever people are turning on their computers to spend their money. I spoke to one student to get a unique insight into how the draw of online shopping is affecting one student.

Rebecca Harris, 20, from Brighton, has been in financial difficulty for the last year. Since being made redundant from her job in April 2009 she has had no regular income. However despite the knowledge that she was heavily into her overdraft, her love of shopping continued!

PB: So Rebecca what makes you shop online?

RH: Its all over the internet, its just easier to click and have it delivered to your door than to have to go out in all weathers and barge my way through the crowds.

PB: So what websites do you buy from most?

RH: ASOS, Boohoo, Topshop, Republic and very.co.uk are the ones I mostly buy from, but whenever I have a spare few minutes I browse lots of other sites as well.

PB: What makes you use these websites?

RH: I get sent so many emails and offers, things like free delivery and 20% off. I hate to see them wasted.

PB: Surely ignoring the offers would be better than spending large amounts of money?

RH: Yeah that's what my friends say but I just love the fact that I can curl up on the sofa with a cup of coffee and buy clothes knowing that they will be posted through my letterbox, like I said it's just so easy.

PB: Do you think there is anything that could be done to discourage you to spend money online?

RH: Maybe they could print a copy of your bank balance before you order to stop yourself from needlessly spending money! Seeing your overdraft on screen might make you think twice before clicking the confirmation button!

PB: Apart from online shopping, do you have any other financial worries?

RH: Well, online shopping is my biggest weakness, but yes I do have to worry about paying the rent, bills and food, car insurance and credit card bills. So money is always an issue for me. I have had to borrow money from family and that's never a nice feeling.

PB: What advice would you give to other people in your situation?

RH: Budget!- or at least try to! Treat your overdraft as a debt not a luxury. It may be simple to click a button and get whatever you want but at the end of the day it’s just not worth the extra stress!

However, it seems Rebecca is not alone in her love of shopping online. A recently released survey by business firm Deloitte highlights a 10% increase in online spending in the last 12 months with £28 billion being spent in the last six months alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment